Request an Appointment Online, or call us at (888) 824-0200

The University of Chicago Medicine - Comer Children's Hospital


Public law (PL94-142) requires appropriate public education for all children regardless of their special needs. Children with tracheostomies are entitled to special education classes under the "other health impaired" category.

Education Program

Each child must have an individualized education program (IEP) developed by school system personnel, parents, and if appropriate, the child. An educational plan that meets the special needs of your child might include a health aide, physical education plans, and transportation. You should contact your local school district to obtain information on the application process. If you need assistance, contact your social worker.


It is important to keep your child’s immunizations up to date. You should keep a record of all immunizations your child receives in the hospital and the doctor’s office. A flu shot may be needed annually for children with chronic disease. Some children also qualify for a Synagis shot which helps decrease the likelihood of acquiring a virus called RSV. Consult your child's doctor about your child’s special needs.