Comer Children's offers internships to graduate students working toward a master’s degree in art therapy. Internship opportunities are available during the academic year from September through May. Students will complete 24 hours of internship each week in three, eight hour days.
Students are given opportunities to build independent professional skills, strengthen therapeutic skills in both group and individual settings, and develop assessment and intervention skills. The student's clinical supervisor (a registered art therapist) provides supervision, instruction, and guidance.
Graduate students' hours will be determined according to school requirements and the child life program.
Criteria for Art Therapy Graduate Students
Before applying for an art therapy internship in the Child Life Program at Comer Children's Hospital, please review the following criteria to make certain that you qualify:
- Our program is only for students in the second or third year of their master's degree in art therapy
- Students will have coursework in art therapy and child development.
- Students will have experience working with young children and/or infants.
- Students will have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- A minimum of 100hrs of experience working/volunteering with hospitalized children is required.
- Students will provide three letters of professional reference with at least one from an academic institution and one from a supervisor of direct work with children.
- Students must be enrolled in a university program. (Student's university will be required to engage in a contractual relationship with Comer Children's.)
Requirements for Art Therapy Internship Application Process
- Application deadline: Application must be postmarked by March 1st.
- All materials must be received by this date for internship consideration.
To submit an application, please observe the following steps:
1. View and download the application form (PDF).
2. Complete the application form, print it and mail it along with a copy of:
- Your resume
- Official college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate), sealed by registrar
- Three written professional references
- All recommendation letters must be sent in a sealed envelope with the sender’s signature across the seal
The University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital
Child Life and Family Education, MC 8008
Attn: Yasuko Yoshihara
5721 S. Maryland Avenue, Room K-135
Chicago, IL 60637-1470
Email application to:
(If application is emailed, references and transcripts must still be sent as described above in the mail and postmarked by the application deadline date)
The student coordinator will review your application and notify you of next steps.
Art Therapy Internship Requirements and Expectations
1. A complete orientation to the Child Life Program and Comer Children's including health screening (TB and blood test, and drug screen provided by University Health Clinic) and criminal background check will be completed prior to the start of the internship.
You must be present at the hospital in Chicago to complete all of step 1. Students relocating for this internship should plan to arrive at least two weeks prior to internship to complete step 1
The following will be required of all graduate students during internship:
2. Written goals and objectives for the internship experience
3. Daily meetings with student supervisor
4. Case study presentation to the child life staff including reflections from group experiences throughout internship
5. Attendance at child life staff in-services
6. Participation in a mid-term and final evaluation process