- Keep skin clean and dry. Eliminate plaster/fiberglass crumbs or foreign objects. Do not allow child to place small objects down in the cast. It can cause severe pressure areas.
- Turn the child during the day to lie on his/her abdomen several hours a day. Be sure when in this position, a pillow is under the knee of the cast and under the chest.
- Look and feel for skin irritations at cast edges.
Check for the following:
- Swelling and discoloration of the toes
- The child's toes can move and are warm
- Pay attention to complaints of pain, numbness, or tingling.
- If a small child or infant is irritable or fussy, this may be a sign that there is a problem. If in doubt about any of these things, consult your doctor.