Cystic Fibrosis Center
Since 1967, the University of Chicago Cystic Fibrosis Center has provided specialized care to patients and families with cystic fibrosis, an inherited disease that can cause severe lung damage and nutrition problems. The center, fully accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, provides care to people of all ages with cystic fibrosis (CF).
We make the transition from childhood to adulthood easy for patients with CF. Our adult cystic fibrosis program is located in the same medical center and shares some of the same staff as our pediatric program.
Coordinated, Team-Based Care
At the University of Chicago Cystic Fibrosis Center, our experts incorporate a multidisciplinary treatment approach to this complex chronic disease. We work as a team to develop individualized care plans for patients. This group of healthcare experts includes:
- Pulmonary medicine specialists
- Pediatric gastroenterologists
- Pediatric endocrinologists
- Nurses specializing in pulmonary disorders
- Dietitians, who help manage nutritional problems caused by CF
- Social workers
- Respiratory care therapists
- Genetic experts and genetic counselors, who are available to speak with families
These specialized personnel will work with you to develop a treatment strategy that meets your needs.
Newer, Better Therapies to Prolong Life
Although there is still no cure for CF, new therapies are having a significant effect on the lives of children, teens, and adults with the condition. These treatments can improve breathing and help control other symptoms of CF and reduce the likelihood of complications from the disease.
Our team will work with you to develop an individualized plan that may include:
- Antibiotics to control infection
- Mucus-thinning medicines and other medications to help keep airways clear
- A food plan to improve nutrition
- Oral enzymes to enhance digestion
- Home oxygen therapy, if needed
- Pulmonary rehabilitation, which includes exercise to improve or maintain lung function
- Genetic counseling services
Help for Those with CF and Diabetes
Many patients with CF also have diabetes. To optimize care for such patients, our staff conducts a monthly CF-diabetes clinic with pediatric endocrinologists, diabetes nurse educators, and dietitians.