Food Service and Housekeeping
"At Your Request" Food Service for Your Child
The "room service" approach to meals at the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital allows children to order the food they want any time from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. by calling 4-FOOD (4-3663).
You will find a menu in your child's room. Please allow 45 minutes after placing an order for food to arrive. All food requests will be checked against the physician's order to assure the correct food for your child's condition and status. Food is available for a variety of special needs, including vegetarian and kosher.
If your child is admitted after 7 p.m. and needs a meal, a box lunch will be provided. Contact your child's nurse for details.
If you have a concern regarding your child's diet, please ask to speak with a dietitian. Learn more about food guidelines by age and definitions of dietary terms commonly used at the hospital (PDF).
For $6, a child's guest may order breakfast, lunch, or dinner from the child's room service menu between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Please keep the following in mind:
- You can purchase meal tokens from the token machine located in the first floor lobby near the ATM.
- There is a limit of one meal toke for each mealtime.
- The meal token is needed at the time the food tray is delivered.
- A token cannot be redeemed for a meal after 1 p.m. on the day of your child's discharge.
- Please try to use all of your tokens by the day of your child's discharge.
Patient rooms are cleaned once daily. A nightly "turn down" service enables housekeeping to give rooms a final routine check.
Housekeeping can be reached 24 hours a day from any internal phone at 2-6296.