1. Our children's hospital is named for the Comer family, including Gary Comer, founder of Lands' End, and his wife Francie. The Comer family's generous donation was used to build the state-of-the-art hospital, a pediatric emergency department and a center for outpatient specialty care.
2. Close to 170 highly trained pediatricians provide care in 22 pediatric specialties.
3. In the past decade, our scientists received almost $90 million in federal funding for research aimed at finding better treatments and cures for childhood diseases. Our researchers continue to conduct groundbreaking studies in childhood cancer, diabetes, epilepsy, sleep medicine, food allergies and digestive diseases.
4. Since 2005, more than 8,000 critically ill and premature newborns were treated in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). In 2013, the Stephen family, founders of Weber-Stephen Products, donated $10 million to support neonatal care and research.
5. Where does REMOC, the friendly monster who greets kids and families in the lobby of the hospital get his name? It's Comer spelled backwards!
6. 21 pediatricians named among Chicago magazine's top doctors in 2014.
7. Child life specialists support children and families through play, art, education and other activities. Our many fun-filled play spaces include a 3,000-square-foot playroom/teen room and outdoor playground on the first floor.
8. In the first decade of operation, Comer Children's physicians, nurses and staff cared for 51,000 children as inpatients. Our child-friendly rooms feature: art to disguise and hide medical equipment, a wireless call system that reduces overhead noise, a 'room service' approach to ordering meals, and in-room sleeping accommodations for parents.
9. More than 8,500 children were brought to Comer Children's by air or ambulance for emergency care in the past decade.
10. The volume of concrete to build Comer Children's equals 9,000 cubic yards, which is enough to fill more than three Olympic-size swimming pools. The length of pipes used, if placed end to end, would stretch to 197 miles. The length of cable used would stretch to 661 miles.